Planning to opt for slate roofing for your house? Homeowners are often confused when it comes to choosing the right material to put on their roofs. Amongseveral options, slate is one of the most versatile and unique roofing materials available in the market.
You might be wondering – how can slate be the best choice? Well, if you also have the same thoughts, probably you’re not aware of the values and benefits of slate. In this article, you’ll get to know about the top features of slate roofing. So continue reading if you’re interested.
- Style and colour options- From textural to coloured patterns, there are multiple choices of styles available. The two most popular styles that you’ll find is the random width style and the standard pattern style. The best thing about this particular material is that you will find variations instyle options. The slates come assorted in a range of textures – smooth, rough, rustic, and uniform. And as far as the colour options are concerned, you’ll find many choices like- purple, red, and green.
- Lifespan- Longevity is one of the main reasons why slate stands out from the rest of the materials. Slate is a metamorphic rock which js naturally formed from sedimentary rocks. Therefore, you can expect it to last for more than 100 years that too with minimal maintenance. So you can say that slate roofing can last for at least 75-100 years on average. But make sure that you do not add any kind of paint or sealant. The roof can age prematurely.
- One time investment- When you plan to design your roofs, the first thing you need to check is the budget factor. Installing slate on your roofs is a one-time investment. Once installed, you do not have to think about repairs. As already mentioned, slate is an excessively durable material that can last for more than 75 years (minimum) – which is the normal average living age of human beings. The most appreciating part is that you don’t have to focus too much on repairs and replacements – thanks to their durability.
Now that you know the benefits, you need to keep in mind a few other important things. Let’s take a look.
- Slate is hefty and it can put a sufficient amount of pressure on your roofs. Therefore, before you option for slate roofing, it’s important to check how much load the roofs at your place can bear. If your house is not engineered for slate, you need to seek professional help from engineers. At first, they’ll visit your house and do the required inspections. Based on that, you will get to know if your roof is engineered for slate installation.
- Slate is quite expensive, however once installed, you will never have to invest anything in the future. The slate roofing will vary based on the roof pitch and home size.
- Slate can be repaired anytime. However, you shouldn’t take up roofing tasks based on DIY skills. Get in touch with a professional and allow them to look for the damaged parts. Repairing is super easy. The contractor will slide out the damaged pieces and replace them with new ones.
Last but not least, you should always get your slate roofing inspected by professional contractors. Now you’ll ask – how many times should the roofs be inspected? The answer is straightforward. Getting your roofs checked by professionals at least once a year is fair enough to keep the slate in pristine and healthy condition. However, before you hire an expert, you need to make sure you choose the professionals only after good research on the internet and through recommendations.