- Invest in Good Quality Cushion Covers – While the cushions on your outdoor suite are of excellent quality, after a few washes and time exposed to strong direct sunlight, they will eventually fade. If you buy some fitted cushion covers that zip up at the back, they can be washed on a regular basis and whenever you have guests, simply remove the covers, and your outdoor suite will look like new.
- Timber Furniture – This is probably the material that requires the most care and attention, and while wiping furniture with a damp cloth is always a good way to remove dust, you should sand the timber and re-stain it every 2-3 years, which will ensure it is always protected against the sun, wind and rain. Oil soap works wonders on wooden furniture. Plus, it seals the wood, bringing it up to a nice shine. In case you are looking for timber wholesale outdoor furniture Melbourne homeowners prefer, there are reliable companies you can contact.
- Metal Garden Furniture – The biggest threats are rust and oxidisation, which can quickly render a chair or table in need of repair. If you have metal framed garden furniture, make sure that paint is not chipped or compromised in any way, as this will allow rust to set in, so buy some touch-up paint of the same colour and use this often to dress any scratches or flaking. Aluminium is usually power-coated, which protects the surface, but if it becomes chipped, you can touch this up with an acrylic paint of the same colour, otherwise, all it takes to keep it clean is a wipe with a damp cloth.
- Wicker Furniture – Very popular among Australian homeowners, wicker furniture can be coated with a clear varnish, which will protect the surfaces. Periodically, you can wipe some WD-40 oil on the wicker or resin, as this will bring it up to a nice shine. Of course, with the right acrylic paint, you could change the colour, although you would have to give it a couple of coats, and perhaps spraying is better than applying the paint with a brush.
- Glass Surfaces – The easiest of all, your glass tabletop is easy to keep clean using ordinary glass cleaner and some dry, soft cloth. You might want to do this on a weekly basis, as there will be fingerprints visible and other stains.
If you take good care of your outdoor furniture, it will provide you with many years of trouble-free use, and every spring, you should inspect each and every item, cleaning and doing whatever else is required. If your outdoor cushions get wet, make sure they are completely aired when drying them out, and if you can avoid leaving them out in the rain, even better.